April 20, 2011

What Did I Read This Week?

Since I read way more things than I actually review I thought I would share those with you too.  I am a huge believer in not reading something that I don't like and I share that philosophy with my students, so here is where you will find the titles I didn't finish and why.  This is what I've read so far:


Death by Bikini by Linda Gerber:  I did finish this one, but it really didn't do anything for me.  I thought it would be funny and fluffy, but it just fell flat.  The mystery was too transparent and the main character was far too serious.  I would have to give it 2 out of 5 stars.  It was Just OK.


One Day and One Amazing Morning on Orange Street by Joanne Rocklin:  Still reading and hope to finish this weekend.  This is a Tween read that I think would make an excellent classroom novel.  The characters are well written and the plot is quirky and fun.  Expect a full review when finished!!


If I Stay by Gayle Forman:  I know I have been talking about this one A LOT - but it was just that good!!  Here is what I wrote on Good Reads after I finished:  Although I gave this book 5 stars I could never read it again. I can barely even get through a booktalk. This was the most emotionally devastating book I have ever read. It kept me up at night pondering all of the "what if's" and uncertainties of life. It had me convinced I would never let my children ride in a car again, especially if there is snow on the ground. In the end I do not think I would have made the same choice as Mia. I am not that strong . . . Teddy will haunt me forever. . 


The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connlley:  Everyone is talking about what a great movie this is, so I picked up the book last week.  LOVED IT!!!  Great plot with a ton of twists and turns.  I really liked the main character Mickey Haller, he wasn't as sleazy as he thought he was.  I did not see the twist at the end coming and I'm getting pretty good at figuring those out.  If you like courtroom drama this is definitely a must read!!!  4 out of 5 stars.  I loved it and I think you will too!!!


Crazy  Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted:  I found this book at a reading conference this winter and was surprised I had not heard of it.  I loved the cover and the story was intriguing: A boy with hooks for hands (because he blew them off in an accident), falls in love with a girl recovering from the recent death of her mother.  Unfortunately, it just didn't hold my attention.  I am very picky about the voice of teen characters.  They should not sound like adults trying too hard to sound like teens.  The story POV changes between the two characters, a la "Perfect Chemisty" by Simone Elkeles, but the magic that Alex and Brittany found is just missing for Lucius and Aurora.  I quit after the first two sections, but I might try it again.  The cover is just too enticing!!  I also plan on getting a student's opinion.  Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean they won't.


Numbers: The Chaos by Rachel Ward:  I am reading this one right now and LOVING IT!!!!  The first book, "Numbers," is an intense read, but this one takes it up about a million notches!!!!  I cannot wait to find out what happens!!!  Full review by the weekend!!


That is all I've had time for this week.  Hope my reviews were helpful!!


HAPPY READING!!!


Jen



No comments:

Post a Comment